Why iPad is not recommended for children from 0 – 6. From the perspective of the Montessori Method.
* These recommendations refer to Montessori 3 hour work cycle.
1. Often iPad provokes the passive perception of information (I’m sitting-entertain me). It is the opposite of what happens in the classroom where the child gains knowledge as a result of independent actions.
2. Information obtained through iPad offers minimal sensory experience: parts of sensory perceptions are not involved (smell and touch). Also, not all sounds can be represented authentically, iPad produces a reproduction of the real sounds.
3. The modern culture that reflects through iPad applications does not always represent the reality-based characters. Children can discriminate the difference between reality and illusion only after six years of age.
4. The most important point is that the iPad is an instrument. Like any other instrument, it is made to assist the person to accomplish their work more efficiently. The main work of a child from 0-6 is to form their personality. The majority part of it is working on learning, developing and mastering the skills of practical life. The iPad can not provide this type of experience and can be more of a distraction.
Source: Russian Montessori Society
Technology Use Guidelines for Children and Youth
If you would like to read more on the topic, check out these articles about screen effects on children:
Thank you for visiting! I would love to hear your thoughts. Make sure to share them in the comment section below! Please note this post may contain affiliate links to products I use or recommend.