💕 Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links at no cost to you. It means I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my links. Thank you for your support. Stock Images supplied by Canva
You are invited to download the poster and picture cards with different types of flowers – learning printables for preschool and kindergarten children. Use this resource with clear true-to-life images to create hands-on botany activities for your students. This resource will be useful if you plan to explore spring flowers in your Montessori and early childhood classroom.
Flowers are beautiful and fascinating plants that kids love to learn about. Flowers come in many sizes, shapes, and colors, and are often used as symbols of love, happiness, and friendship. Kids can enjoy planting and taking care of flowers in their own garden or even in a small pot. They can learn about the different parts of the flower, such as the petals, stem, and pollen; and discover how flowers attract pollinators such as bees and butterflies. Exploring the world of flowers is a great way for kids to connect with nature and learn more about the world around them.
types of flowers
Flowers are an amazing gift from nature, and they come in a diverse range of types and colors. Some of the most popular types of flowers include roses, lilies, carnations, daffodils, sunflowers, and orchids. Each type of flower has its own unique properties, such as different fragrances, shapes, and sizes. Flowers are often associated with specific occasions and emotions, such as roses for love, lilies for sympathy, and sunflowers for happiness. Whether you are looking for a romantic gesture or to brighten up a room, there is a type of flower for every occasion.
Learning about flowers in the Montessori classroom
In the Montessori classroom, children learn about flowers through a variety of activities that engage their senses and creativity. They may explore the parts of a flower using materials such as flower puzzles, diagrams, and real specimens. Hands-on activities like planting and caring for real flowers allow the children to observe the life cycle of a plant. Art projects involving flowers foster self-expression and imagination. Children also learn about the role of flowers in pollination and how they contribute to the larger ecosystem. Through these activities, children develop a deep appreciation for the beauty and importance of flowers in our world.
Types of flowers printable
Types of flowers poster and matching cards for littles (pre-k and K students) – match, glue onto a watercolor spring background, and learn new different kinds of flowers.
There are many uses for the printable. Children can learn the names of different types of flowers.
Younger children can be encouraged to match color pictures to the black-and-white version.
Cut flower cards, laminate, and attach hook and loop dots to add an extra challenge for little fingers. Older children might be inspired to create their own book of animals in spring, glue cutouts, or draw and label the flowers.
Here is what’s included:
- 12 x types of flowers for matching
- 12 x flowers – poster
- 1 x spring/summer-themed background
- PowerPoint with editable text poster featuring 12 flowers
I love this idea @raisingmaeve had. Jess enlarged the background and used adhesive to create this wonderful little activity for her child.
If you would like to enlarge the background, here is how you can do it. Hit Print. Make sure in your Advanced Settings ‘Print As Image’ has been deselected. Then hit ‘Poster’ and set your ‘Tile Scale’ according to how large you would like your poster to be. If you set it at 100%, it will print on two sheets. Trim sheets as needed and connect your poster pieces using scotch tape.
Plant Life Cycle
This printable is perfect to include in your Spring and Summer unit and present to the students before they start planting seeds in the garden.
Forest Vocabulary 3-part Cards
Forest Vocabulary 3-part Cards for Kindergarten, First, Second Graders. This file includes:
36 themed vocabulary cards (four to one page) with forest elements – plants, wild berries, wildflowers, trees, pine cones, fungi with large unique graphics and text to match.
Spring Unit Printable Hands-on Activities for the Montessori Classroom
Spring Montessori Unit for children aged 2-6.
Changes in nature present plenty of opportunities for explorations and learning. This pack will provide your students with hours of Spring themed engaging activities that will assist them in developing fine motor skills, number recognition, reading, logical thinking.
Hands-on activities, three-part cards, student booklets, adventure hunt, lacing cards, counting cards, and more!
Plants, Animals, and Fungi Sorting Cards - Nature Curriculum in Cards
Sorting and classifying activity with plants, animals, and fungi.
The printable features photographic cards for sorting and clipart for “cut, color, and sort” activity.
Fruits and Vegetables Vocabulary 3 Part Cards
Three-part cards are an excellent tool to help interactively learn new vocabulary and spelling. Classified cards can be used to enrich the child’s vocabulary, to develop reading, writing, and classification skills while broadening the child’s knowledge of the world. Create bilingual/multilingual cards for the students in your minority language with ease.
Flowers Of The Continents 3 Part Cards
Explore the fascinating world of botany with these Flowers of the Continents 3-part cards. This printable would be a colorful addition to your continent folders.
Flowers - Object to Picture Matching Activity with Safari Toob
Three-part cards with eight images for the object to photo-matching activity. The printable features clear real-life photographs.
It includes a set of flower vocabulary cards – rose, tulip, hibiscus, bird of paradise, daffodil, sunflower, lotus, orchid.
Types of Flowers - Nature Curriculum in Cards
Three-part and description cards with eighteen different flowering plants. The printable features isolated images of commonly known flowers such as lotus, sunflower, pansy, orchid, tulip, rose, blue plumbago, calla lily, carnation, dahlia, daisy, bird of paradise, iris, lily, magnolia, narcissus, petunia, poppy.
Types of Spring Flowers 3 Part Cards and B&W Booklet Printable
Twelve beautiful flowers of Spring. Three-part cards feature colorful clipart images.
What's Inside A Flower?: And Other Questions About Science & Nature
Budding backyard scientists can start exploring their world with this stunning introduction to these flowery show-stoppers--from seeds to roots to blooms. Learning how flowers grow gives kids beautiful building blocks of science and inquiry.
The Reason for a Flower: A Book About Flowers, Pollen, and Seeds (Explore!)
The reason for a flower is to manufacture seeds, but Ruth Heller shares a lot more about parts of plants and their functions in her trademark rhythmic style.
Ultimate Explorer Field Guide: Wildflowers
What do you call a garden filled with lots of flowers? A polli-nation! Nat Geo Kids is back with the newest fact- and photo-filled Ultimate Explorer Field Guide, and this one packs some real flower power! This guide to wildflowers will make kids stop and look for all kinds of blossoms blooming right under their noses.
The Flower Alphabet Book (Jerry Pallotta's Alphabet Books)
And they're only two of the flowers in this book of bright colors and delightful information. Young readers will be fascinated to find out what flower can be used to make a doll, which flower flavors tea, and which flower farmers feed to chickens.
Sun, Water, and Soil - Teaching Kids How Plants Grow - Children's Biology Books
Put in healthy soil, add some water and let it grow in the sun. This is how a plant would thrive. But there are many other things to know aside from this general truth! The purpose of this educational book is to empower your child to become environmentally aware. By improving his/her knowledge about planting, you are also preparing him/her to plant.
National Geographic Kids Look and Learn: In My Garden (Look & Learn)
From planting seeds to watering them to watching seedlings grow, young readers are introduced to gardens and some of the charming creatures often found there. Using simple, age-appropriate text paired with colorful photos, Look & Learn books introduce children to a subject on one spread and then show it in real-life context on the next.
I Can Grow a Flower (Life Cycle Board Books)
Teach your child how a tiny seed grows into a flower in this fascinating lift-the-flap garden story. A pullout height chart ends the book--a great way for children to remember how a sunflower grows, and to measure how fast your child grows, too!
Gardening with Emma: Grow and Have Fun: A Kid-to-Kid Guide
Thirteen-year-old Emma Biggs is passionate about gardening and eager to share her passion with other kids!
Big Book of Blooms (The Big Book Series)
The next installment in the popular Big Book series is a fascinating introduction to some of the most magnificent and surprising flowering plants from around the world.
Planting a Rainbow
In this perennial classic with sturdy board book pages by Caldecott Honor–winning author Lois Ehlert, little ones learn the colors of the rainbow as they watch a plants grow in a beautifully vibrant garden.
Explore a lush garden of plant life. . . . from your bookshelf! Packed with science concepts, this picture book will tell you everything you need to know about flowers.
Flowers (Plant Parts)
Discover the beautiful science of flowers! Through full-color photos and simple, easy-to-follow text, this nonfiction book introduces emergent readers to the basics of botany, including information on how flowers grow, along with their uses. All
The Dandelion Seed: A Life Cycle Nature Book for Kids (Plants For Children, Science For Kindergarten)
Follow the journey of a tiny dandelion seed who was afraid to let go. With a poignant, simple storytelling and gorgeous artwork, this best-selling picture book introduces plant life cycles while reminding us to let go and embrace change.
Wildflowers (National Geographic: My First Pocket Guide)
From the familiar buttercup to the dazzling Indian paintbrush, this colorful guide features 34 flowers that grow naturally in woodlands, grasslands, deserts, and wetlands of the U.S. and Canada. The book also looks at pollination and the parts of a flower.
Teacher Created Materials - TIME For Kids Informational Text: Good Work: Plant Life - Grade K - Guided Reading Level A
This picture book teaches young readers what plants need to grow. Featuring vivid images and simple, repetitive phrases, students will be eager to learn about what plants need to grow. This title correlates to Next Generation Science Standards with a focus on plants.
Lola Plants a Garden (Lola Reads)
How does your garden grow? Book-loving Lola is inspired by a collection of garden poems that she reads with her mommy. She wants to plant her own garden of beautiful flowers, so she and Mommy go to the library to check out books about gardening. They choose their flowers and buy their seeds.
Mrs. Peanuckle's Flower Alphabet (Mrs. Peanuckle's Alphabet)
From the aster to the zinnia, Mrs. Peanuckle introduces very young children to 26 types of flowers from across the globe. For each one, she offers a single defining characteristic, some of them very surprising.
Flowers (Nature Explorers)
A first nature book about flowers for children, this is the perfect companion for young minds eager to learn about the world of flowering plants.
National Geographic Readers: Seed to Plant
Kids see plants, flowers, and trees around them every day. In this lively and educational reader, they'll learn how those plants grow. Kids will take this magical journey from seed pollination to plant growth, learning about what plants need to thrive and grow with the same careful text, brilliant photographs, and the fun approach National Geographic Readers are known for.
Trees, Leaves, Flowers and Seeds: A Visual Encyclopedia of the Plant Kingdom (Smithsonian)
A unique guide to the extraordinary world of plants, from the smallest seeds to the tallest trees.
Packed with more than 1,000 incredible images and full of fascinating facts, this beautiful children's book takes you on an exciting adventure through the wonders of the plant kingdom.
From Seed to Plant
With simple language and bright illustrations, non-fiction master Gail Gibbons introduces young readers to the processes of pollination, seed formation, and germination. Important vocabulary is reinforced with accessible explanation and colorful, clear diagrams showing the parts of plants, the wide variety of seeds, and how they grow.
The Tiny Seed: With seeded paper to grow your own flowers! (The World of Eric Carle)
Eric Carle’s classic story of the life cycle of a flower is told through the adventures of a tiny
seed. This mini-book includes a piece of detachable seed-embedded paper housed on the inside front cover. Readers can plant the entire piece of paper and watch as their very own tiny seeds grow into beautiful wildflowers.
Free Printables Designed by Montessori Nature
- Free Resource Library
- Geoboard Task Cards Free Math Summer Printable
- Signs Of Summer In Nature Free Printables Posters Student Booklets
- Signs of Spring in Nature
- Parts of a Plant Sorting
- Animals of Continents Sort Editable Labels
- Letter A Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter D Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter E Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter F Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter G Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter B Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter C Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter H Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter i Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter J Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter K Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter L Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter M Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter N Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter O Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter P Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Q Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter R Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter S Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter U Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter T Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter W Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter V Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Y Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter X Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Z Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters CH Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters SH Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters Th Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Language Printable
- Made By Nature Made By Humans Sorting
- My Word Of The Year New Year Free Printable
- Physical And Chemical Changes Pairing Fine Motor With Pegs
- Christmas Playdough Mats
- Christmas 3 Part Cards
- Christmas Matching Fine Motor With Pegs
- 10 Deciduous Trees And 10 Coniferous Trees Sorting Cards
- Fall Playdough Mats
- Christmas in Australia
- Free DIY Art Puzzles Coloring Pages Printables – Silent Night by Viggo Johansen
- Signs of Winter
- Matching Fine Motor With Pegs The Nutcracker Free Christmas printable
- Free DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Raphael The Sistine Madonna
- Fall Leaf Shapes Match Up With Pegs
- Animal Hibernation & Torpor Cards
- 10 Farm Cards And 10 Forest Sorting Cards
- Pairing Fine Motor With Pegs – Thankful Animals
- Types Of Apples
- Fall Prewriting Practice – Free Fine Motor Printable
- Free DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Paul Cezanne Still Life Painting Curtain, Jug And Fruit Bowl
- Fall Pin Punching And Tracing Cards
- Fall Match Up Initial Sounds With Pegs
- Fall Match Up Rhyming Words With Pegs
- Fall Leaves And Fall Flowers
- Fall Match Up Opposites With Pegs
- 10 Types Of Vertebrates And 10 Types Of Invertebrates Fall Printable
- 10 Types of Insects and 10 Types of Flowers Sort
- Fall Match Up With Pegs
- Types Of Exotic Apples 3-Part Cards, Posters, Student Booklet
- 10 Types Of Edible And 10 Types Of Poisonous Mushrooms
- Signs Of Fall – Free Printables, Posters, Cards, Student Booklets
- Woodland Animals Poster Match Up Cards
- 10 Types Of Mammals And 10 Types Of Birds In Autumn
- Color, Cut Out, Build, And Label The Ant
- Color, Cut Out, Build, And Label The Fish
- Gemstones 3 Part Cards
- Wild Animal Families Puzzles And Cards
- Forest Matching Cards – Free Nature Printable
- Beach Poster, Match Up Cards – Free Printables
- Whale Size Comparison Poster, Match Up Cards
- DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Vincent Van Gogh Vase With Twelve Sunflowers
- 10 Types Of Vertebrates And 10 Types Of Invertebrates
- Coral Reef Animals Poster, Match Up Cards
- 10 Types Of Terrestrial Mammals And 10 Types Of Marine Mammals – Free Summer Printable
- 10 Types Of Butterflies And 10 Types Of Ladybugs – Free Sorting Printable
- Skip Counting Student Helper Posters And Worksheets s
- Number Tracing And Formation Activity
- Sums With Bead Bars – Clip Cards And Worksheets With Teen Numbers
- Addition Clip Cards
- Number Bonds – Addition With Bead Bars Sums Of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, And 10
- Place Value Mats, Task Cards, And Tracing Worksheets
- Gemstones – Posters And Matching Cards
- Nature Journal
- Valentine’s Day Coloring
- Geoboard Task Cards
- Free One Week Planner For Preschool Children With Low Prep Hands-On Activities
- Free Montessori Baby And Toddler Printable Materials
- DIY Winter Puzzles And Art Activities – Painting “The Starry Night” By Vincent Van Gogh
- Winter Animals
- Arctic Animals
- DIY Winter Puzzles And Art Activities – Painting “Maslenitsa” By Boris Kustodiev
- Butterflies And Moths Sort
- Types Of Flowers Match Up
- Silent E Learning To Read Cards
- Addition And Subtraction Cards – Single Digits
- Animals In Spring – Activities, Resources, And Free Printables
- Multiplication Charts
- Lined Writing Paper Handwriting Practice
- Nocturnal And Diurnal Animals Sort
- Viviparous And Oviparous Animals Sort
- Mothers And Their Young Animals Sort
- Constellations And Planets Sort
- Farm Animal Families Puzzles
- The Earth Goes Around The Sun – Free Geography Printable
- Tulip Life Cycle And Parts Of A Tulip