Teaching preschoolers about the different seasons is an important part of early education. One fun way to do this is through sorting activities, like using seasonal sorting cards. With free autumn and summer sorting printable cards, children can learn about the unique characteristics of these two seasons and how they differ from each other. These activities can help children develop their cognitive and fine motor skills while also teaching them about the world around them. Here are some ideas for using autumn and summer sorting cards in your preschool classroom or homeschool curriculum.
Learning About Seasons in the Classroom
As children grow and develop, their curiosity about the world around them increases. Exploring the different seasons of the year is a great way to encourage their curiosity and help them learn about the environment. The changing of the seasons offers endless learning opportunities that can be easily incorporated into the preschool classroom.
Promotes an Early Appreciation for Nature
Learning about the different seasons at an early age can be a helpful way to cultivate a love and appreciation for nature. As children learn about the different seasons, they can start to understand how the natural world changes and adapts throughout the year. This helps them appreciate and respect the environment, and it’s also an excellent way to support their emotional development.
Enhances Vocabulary and Language Skills
Understanding the seasons and the changes that occur during each one is an effective way to boost a child’s vocabulary and language skills. When discussing seasonal changes, children are introduced to new words, concepts, and phrases they might not encounter in their everyday conversations. As a result, their language skills are expanded and enriched, and they can confidently express themselves in a clear and concise manner.
Encourages Scientific Inquiry
Teaching preschoolers about seasons can be an engaging way to encourage scientific inquiry. Children enjoy exploring and observing the world around them, and the natural rhythms of the seasons offer a perfect opportunity to do so. Teachers can introduce different aspects of the seasons, such as the changes in temperature, precipitation, and daylight, to foster a sense of scientific curiosity.
Promotes Cultural Awareness
Seasonal celebrations and traditions are an essential part of many cultures. By teaching children about the seasons in the classroom, they’ll be exposed to different cultural practices that complement their learning. Understanding and respecting different cultural practices can help young children develop an appreciation for diversity, which is an essential life skill.
In conclusion, teaching preschoolers about seasons in the classroom is an excellent way to promote their physical, emotional, and intellectual growth. By understanding the changing environment around them, they’ll be able to appreciate nature, communicate with confidence, develop scientific inquiry and become culturally aware young individuals.
Difference between the two seasons
Fall and summer are two different seasons of the year.
Summer is the season that comes after spring and before fall. During the summer season, it is usually hot and sunny outside. You get to wear shorts, tank tops, sandals, and sunglasses. It is a great time to go swimming and play in the water because it is usually very warm. The flowers and plants are in full bloom during this season, and the trees are full of leaves. You can hear birds chirping, and you might see butterflies and bees flying around.
Fall, on the other hand, comes after summer and before winter. During the fall season, the weather starts to cool down, and the leaves on the trees start changing colors. You get to wear cozy clothes like sweaters, boots, scarves, and hats. It is a great time to go apple picking, pumpkin picking, and take nature walks. The air starts to feel crisp, and you might see some animals preparing for winter, like squirrels gathering nuts.
Summer is hot and sunny, and fall is cooler with changing leaves. Both seasons have unique activities and weather patterns to enjoy!
hands on learning activities to explore summer and fall
Nature Walk: Take children for a nature walk to explore the differences in the environment during the fall and summer seasons. Look for changes in vegetation, temperature, and feel of the air. Talk about the fall leaves turning colors and falling off trees, as well as the summer flowers blooming brightly.
Seasonal Sorting: Provide children with pictures or objects that represent both seasons such as apples, leaves, sunflowers, beach balls, and shades. Then ask them to sort them into two piles, one for summer and one for fall. Discuss the differences and similarities between the items and what makes each season unique.
Sensory Bin: Create a sensory bin inspired by the fall season such as dry leaves, acorns or pumpkins to explore the textures, smells, and colors of fall. Have children compare it with the bin filled with sand, seashells, and toys for summer season, and observe the differences using their sensory skills.
Art Activities: Drawing or painting can be used to explore the differences between the summer and fall seasons. Children can use yellow, green, and blue paint for summer, and red, yellow, and orange for fall to paint pictures of what they’ve observed during both seasons.
Seasonal Clothing: As differences in climate occur, children need to be in appropriate clothing. Discuss how the type of clothing needed is different for each season and show examples of what people might wear in those seasons.
Science eExperiments: Using science experiments to explain the seasonal changes in weather, temperature and day length. For example, children can compare how water evaporates more quickly in warmer weather than in cooler weather.
Seasonal Tasting: A tasty activity that involves exploring different types of food associated with fall and summer seasons. Try eating summer fruits like watermelon and berries for summer and apples, pumpkin, and spices for fall. Talk about how flavors vary depending on seasonal produce.
Seasons Memory Game: Have children play a matching game where they match summer and fall items with their appropriate seasons. This will help reinforce what they have learned in a fun way.
These hands-on Montessori activities will help children gain a better understanding of the differences between the fall and summer seasons, help them appreciate the uniqueness of each season, and also establish a deeper connection with nature.
Summer and Fall Sort Free Printable
As the days grow shorter and the leaves begin to change, it’s a great time to engage preschoolers in learning with autumn and summer sorting cards. This activity is perfect for combining seasonal fun with educational opportunities and can be adapted to suit a variety of ages and skill levels.
To create your own sorting hands-on activity, start by gathering a selection of items that are commonly associated with either autumn or summer. For example, you might include leaves, acorns, and pumpkins for the autumn pile, and shells, sunglasses, and beach balls for the summer pile.
Next, print out two labels of cards, one for autumn and one for summer. You can make these as elaborate or simple as you like, depending on the age and level of your child. For young children, use our free printable simple graphics or photographs, while older children may enjoy creating their own cards with more detailed drawings or descriptions.
Once you have your cards ready, place them in two piles on a table or mat and invite your child to sort them into two categories: one for autumn items and one for summer items. Encourage them to think about the characteristics of each item and why it might belong in one season or the other.
Autumn and summer sorting cards are a great way to engage preschoolers in learning while having fun with seasonal themes. As an added bonus, this activity can help build important skills like classification, observation, and critical thinking – all while fostering a love of learning that will last a lifetime.
🎁Please visit the FREE Resource Library to download this printable. The Resource Library is color-coded to help you find the printable you need. Locate the group this printable belongs to based on the color of the cover image.
⌛️ If you prefer to save time, I invite you to join the Montessori Nature Membership for $3/month or purchase a Premium Membership with lifetime access to Life Cycle and Diagram printables along with the Preschool Activity Planner. Members don’t have to enter their email address for each printable.
Free Printables Designed by Montessori Nature
- Free Resource Library
- Singular And Plural Nouns: Montessori Free Sorting Printable For Teaching Kids The Difference
- Engaging Reindeer-Themed Montessori Activities For Preschoolers: Free Printable
- Ignite Children’s Curiosity With Space Geoboard Task Cards – Free Printable
- Outer Space Pairing Fine Motor With Pegs Coloring And Tracing Free Printable
- 10 Trees And 10 Leaves Sorting Cards – Free Printable
- Snowflake Early Learning Activities – Free Printable
- Winter Prewriting Practice – Free Fine Motor Coloring And Tracing Printable
- Enhance Learning With Free Montessori Adjective Printables For Students: Engaging Activities To Expand Vocabulary And Develop Language Skills
- Explore World Landmarks With Fine Motor Printable – Free 3 Part Card Geography Activity
- Free DIY Thanksgiving Puzzles, Vintage Cards And Storytelling Worksheets For Children
- Discover The Fascinating World Of Birds With Our Free Printable Math Coordinates For Preschoolers
- Explore Seasonal Clothing With Fine Motor Printable – Free 3 Part Card Activity
- Engage Preschoolers In Learning With Free Autumn And Summer Sorting Cards – Perfect Educational Activity For Seasonal Fun
- Explore Pumpkin Life Cycle With A Free Playdough Mats And Poem Printable For Kids
- Boost Your Students’ Literacy Skills With Fun And Creative Cards Featuring Compound Words
- Animals and Their Homes Free Printable
- Explore Sunflower Life Cycle With Free Play Dough Mats And Poem Printable For Children
- Geoboard Task Cards Free Math Summer Printable
- Signs Of Summer In Nature Free Printables Posters Student Booklets
- Get Sorting With These Free Fall-Themed Printable Activities For Kids – Made By Humans And Made By Nature Sort
- All About Me Printable Freebie
- Signs of Spring in Nature
- Parts of a Plant Sorting
- Birthday Timeline Printable
- Animals of Continents Sort Editable Labels
- Get Ready For Some Farm Fun With Our Free Printable Preschool Math Coordinates Activity!
- Fall Into Learning Fun With Autumn-Themed Geoboard Cards Free Printable For Kids
- Letter A Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter D Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter E Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter F Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter G Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter B Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter C Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter H Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter i Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter J Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter K Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter L Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter M Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter N Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter O Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter P Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Q Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter R Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter S Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter U Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter T Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter W Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter V Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Y Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter X Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Z Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters CH Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters SH Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters Th Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Language Printable
- Double Letters ‘OO’ Vowel Digraph
- ‘ER’ Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Language Printable
- ‘OR’ Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Language Printable
- Double Letters ‘EE’ Vowel Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Language Printable
- Double Letters ‘NG’ Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Made By Nature Made By Humans Sorting
- My Word Of The Year New Year Free Printable
- Physical And Chemical Changes Pairing Fine Motor With Pegs
- Christmas Playdough Mats
- Christmas 3 Part Cards
- Christmas Matching Fine Motor With Pegs
- 10 Deciduous Trees And 10 Coniferous Trees Sorting Cards
- Fall Playdough Mats
- Christmas in Australia
- Free DIY Art Puzzles Coloring Pages Printables – Silent Night by Viggo Johansen
- Signs of Winter
- Matching Fine Motor With Pegs The Nutcracker Free Christmas printable
- Free DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Raphael The Sistine Madonna
- Fall Leaf Shapes Match Up With Pegs
- Animal Hibernation & Torpor Cards
- 10 Farm Cards And 10 Forest Sorting Cards
- Pairing Fine Motor With Pegs – Thankful Animals
- Types Of Apples
- Fall Prewriting Practice – Free Fine Motor Printable
- Free DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Paul Cezanne Still Life Painting Curtain, Jug And Fruit Bowl
- Fall Pin Punching And Tracing Cards
- Fall Match Up Initial Sounds With Pegs
- Fall Match Up Rhyming Words With Pegs
- Fall Leaves And Fall Flowers
- Fall Match Up Opposites With Pegs
- 10 Types Of Vertebrates And 10 Types Of Invertebrates Fall Printable
- 10 Types of Insects and 10 Types of Flowers Sort
- Fall Match Up With Pegs
- Types Of Exotic Apples 3-Part Cards, Posters, Student Booklet
- 10 Types Of Edible And 10 Types Of Poisonous Mushrooms
- Signs Of Fall – Free Printables, Posters, Cards, Student Booklets
- Woodland Animals Poster Match Up Cards
- 10 Types Of Mammals And 10 Types Of Birds In Autumn
- Color, Cut Out, Build, And Label The Ant
- Color, Cut Out, Build, And Label The Fish
- Gemstones 3 Part Cards
- Wild Animal Families Puzzles And Cards
- Forest Matching Cards – Free Nature Printable
- Beach Poster, Match Up Cards – Free Printables
- Whale Size Comparison Poster, Match Up Cards
- DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Vincent Van Gogh Vase With Twelve Sunflowers
- 10 Types Of Vertebrates And 10 Types Of Invertebrates
- Coral Reef Animals Poster, Match Up Cards
- 10 Types Of Terrestrial Mammals And 10 Types Of Marine Mammals – Free Summer Printable
- 10 Types Of Butterflies And 10 Types Of Ladybugs – Free Sorting Printable
- Skip Counting Student Helper Posters And Worksheets s
- Number Tracing And Formation Activity
- Sums With Bead Bars – Clip Cards And Worksheets With Teen Numbers
- Addition Clip Cards
- Number Bonds – Addition With Bead Bars Sums Of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, And 10
- Place Value Mats, Task Cards, And Tracing Worksheets
- Gemstones – Posters And Matching Cards
- Nature Journal
- Valentine’s Day Coloring
- Geoboard Task Cards
- Free One Week Planner For Preschool Children With Low Prep Hands-On Activities
- Free Montessori Baby And Toddler Printable Materials
- DIY Winter Puzzles And Art Activities – Painting “The Starry Night” By Vincent Van Gogh
- Winter Animals
- Arctic Animals
- DIY Winter Puzzles And Art Activities – Painting “Maslenitsa” By Boris Kustodiev
- Butterflies And Moths Sort
- Types Of Flowers Match Up
- Silent E Learning To Read Cards
- Addition And Subtraction Cards – Single Digits
- Animals In Spring – Activities, Resources, And Free Printables
- Multiplication Charts
- Lined Writing Paper Handwriting Practice
- Nocturnal And Diurnal Animals Sort
- Viviparous And Oviparous Animals Sort
- Mothers And Their Young Animals Sort
- Constellations And Planets Sort
- Farm Animal Families Puzzles
- The Earth Goes Around The Sun – Free Geography Printable
- Tulip Life Cycle And Parts Of A Tulip
- Doing Montessori At Home With Your Baby ( 7 – 9 Mo ) Free Printable Checklist