💕 Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links at no cost to you. It means I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my links. Thank you for your support.
One of the beautiful aspects of the Montessori Sensorial materials is extensions. With those children can put into practice their ability to grade and discriminate materials by width, length, and size. From my experience, children master the Pink Tower, the Brown Stairs, the Red Rods, and the Knobless cylinders very shortly after the initial demonstration.
Sensorial extensions provide multiple opportunities to revisit these materials over and over again. Children create interesting patterns, stretch their imagination and usually work in a small group of peers which is a wonderful way to practice sharing and collaboration.
It’s an Italian Montessori blog post (in English) that demonstrates numerous extensions for working with the Pink Towers and Brown Stairs which includes free printables.
You can also download free printable cards from Creciendo con Montessori here.
Montessori Works generously shares a large collection of free Sensorial Extensions printables which also include the Knobless Cylinders and the Red Rods. Making Montessori Ours made their own Pink Tower and Brown Stairs, materials turned out exceptionally well. Have a look for yourself.
Cherine demonstrates their The Broad or Brown Stair, Pink Tower & Extension work here.
For more wonderful materials – 12 Free Pink Tower Extensions ю
I particularly enjoyed this video on the Pink Tower and Brown Stairs extension presentation.
Here is another wonderfully written post on Sensorial Extensions from Just Montessori. There is an abundance of inspirational ideas there!
Carrots are Orange wrote a series of posts dedicated to Sensorial Extensions. Here is one of them: Montessori Sensorial Variations & Extensions II The Work Plan in their post-Knobless Cylinders Extensions: A Montessori Print Shop Review shows a different way for children to create their own extensions with the Knobless Cylinders using printables. I am definitely going to try this!
Children often enjoy creating forms and shapes with the Constructive Blue Triangles. Montessori Constructive Blue Triangles Activity Set is the post written by the Helpful garden who kindly included their free printables.
Montessori For Everyone also share their free extension printable here.
Montessori Services offers Sensorial Cards. These cards provide an extension to activities using the Brown Stair, Pink Tower, Knobbed or Knobless Cylinders. By matching the parts of the apparatus to corresponding base cards, children refine visual discrimination of size. By comparing solids and planes, the child’s perceptions become more abstract. Montessori Services have a wonderful series of Sensorial materials that I decided to include here. I think they can be a useful addition to the Sensorial area in the classroom.
This absorbing activity stimulates children to find and match shapes and then discover the way shapes go together to make designs and pictures. Encourages counting, sorting, and manual dexterity skills.
Encourage counting, sorting, and manual dexterity skills. SuperMind is an absorbing activity that stimulates children to find and match shapes and then discover the way shapes go together to make designs and pictures.
Ideal for any child who has mastered the Mighty Mindset.
SET Card GameThe Family Game of Visual Perception
This engaging game offers the opportunity to flex our innate visual perception and critical-thinking skills by picking out sets of cards based on visible traits (symbol, color, number, and shading).
Wooden Tangram PuzzleAncient Chinese puzzle activity
Seven simple pieces. An unlimited number of designs. It’s no wonder the ancient Chinese tangram has captured the imagination of children (and adults!) for centuries! Shape and pattern recognition skills are developed and creativity is inspired by this exceptionally well-made version.
You might enjoy
- Christmas Themed Knobless Cylinder Extensions
- Colors in Nature – Sensorial Printable
- Montessori Math Tools And Materials – Kinesthetic-Tactile Learning
- Montessori Inspired Learning Activities And Educational Games For 5-Year-Old Children
- DIY Learning Hands-On Activities For 3-Year-Olds
- Some Of The Best Montessori Resources And Materials For Teachers And Parents
- Gemstones – Posters And Matching Cards – Free Printable
- New To Montessori Homeschooling?
- How To Do Montessori At Home On A Budget
- How To Help Young Children Regulate Their Emotions.
Free Printables From Montessori Nature
- Pine Tree Life Cycle
- Woodland Animals Poster Match Up Cards – Free Fall Printables
- Snake Life Cycle And Parts Of A Snake
- Octopus Life Cycle And Parts Of An Octopus
- Dog Life Cycle And Parts Of A Dog
- Crab Life Cycle And Parts Of A Crab
- Shark Life Cycle And Parts Of The Shark
- Color, Cut Out, Build, And Label The Ant
- Color, Cut Out, Build, And Label The Fish
- Gemstones 3 Part Cards
- Wild Animal Families Puzzles And Cards
- Forest Matching Cards – Free Nature Printable
- Beach Poster, Match Up Cards – Free Printables
- Whale Size Comparison Poster, Match Up Cards
- DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Vincent Van Gogh Vase With Twelve Sunflowers
- 10 Types Of Vertebrates And 10 Types Of Invertebrates
- Seahorse Life Cycle And Parts Of The Seahorse
- Coral Reef Animals Poster, Match Up Cards
- 10 Types Of Terrestrial Mammals And 10 Types Of Marine Mammals – Free Summer Printable
- Elephant Life Cycle And Parts Of An African Elephant
- Zebra Life Cycle And Parts Of A Zebra
- 10 Types Of Butterflies And 10 Types Of Ladybugs – Free Sorting Printable
- Parts Of A Grasshopper And Grasshopper Life Cycle
- Parts Of A Bear And Types Of Bears
- Chicken Life Cycle And Parts Of A Chicken Embryo
- Skip Counting Student Helper Posters And Worksheets s
- Deer Life Cycle And Parts Of A Deer
- Number Tracing And Formation Activity
- Mushroom Life Cycle 3 Part Cards, Poster And Blackline
- Sums With Bead Bars – Clip Cards And Worksheets With Teen Numbers
- Addition Clip Cards
- Number Bonds – Addition With Bead Bars Sums Of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, And 10
- Earthworm Life Cycle, Parts Of An Earthworm, 3 Part Cards, Blackline Masters
- Parts Of The Volcano Poster, 3 Part Cards, Blackline Masters
- Parts Of The Snail And Snail Life Cycle Printables
- Parts Of A Bottlenose Dolphin And Dolphin Life Cycle
- Place Value Mats, Task Cards, And Tracing Worksheets
- Hummingbird Learning Activities
- Ladybug Learning Activities
- Turtle Learning Activities
- Gemstones – Posters And Matching Cards
- Nature Journal
- Valentine’s Day Coloring Cards
- Geoboard Task Cards
- Free One Week Planner For Preschool Children With Low Prep Hands-On Activities
- Free Montessori Baby And Toddler Printable Materials
- Flamingo Life Cycle And Parts Of A Flamingo
- DIY Winter Puzzles And Art Activities – Painting “The Starry Night” By Vincent Van Gogh
- Winter Animals
- Arctic Animals
- Owl Life Cycle And Parts Of An Owl
- Squirrel Life Cycle And Parts Of A Squirrel
- Characteristics Of The Emperor Penguin
- Platypus Life Cycle And Parts Of A Platypus
- Macaw Life Cycle And Parts Of A Macaw
- Polar Bear Life Cycle And Parts Of A Polar Bear
- Giraffe Life Cycle And Parts Of A Giraffe
- Hedgehog Life Cycle And Parts Of A Hedgehog
- Bat Life Cycle And Parts Of A Bat
- DIY Winter Puzzles And Art Activities – Painting “Maslenitsa” By Boris Kustodiev
- Butterflies And Moths Sort
- Types Of Flowers Match Up
- Poppy Life Cycle And Parts Of The Red Poppy
- Silent E Learning To Read Cards
- Addition And Subtraction Cards – Single Digits
- Rabbit Life Cycle And Parts Of A Rabbit
- Animals In Spring – Activities, Resources, And Free Printables
- Multiplication Charts
- Lined Writing Paper Handwriting Practice
- Blue Jay Life Cycle And Parts Of A Blue Jay
- Giant Panda Life Cycle And Parts Of A Giant Panda
- Manatee Life Cycle And Parts Of A Manatee
- Nocturnal And Diurnal Animals Sort
- Viviparous And Oviparous Animals Sort
- Mothers And Their Young Animals Sort
- Constellations And Planets Sort
- Farm Animal Families Puzzles
- The Earth Goes Around The Sun – Free Geography Printable
- Pea Plant Life Cycle And Parts Of A Pea Plant
- Tulip Life Cycle And Parts Of A Tulip
- Tomato Life Cycle And Parts Of A Tomato Plant