Teaching children to read the Montessori way phonetically involves breaking down words into individual sounds, using sandpaper letters and objects to create a tactile learning experience, and emphasizing the importance of learning through repetition. Children learn to associate the sound with the corresponding letter and eventually blend those sounds to read words and sentences. The Montessori method also emphasizes the importance of using real-life objects and experiences to develop language skills and makes learning fun through engaging activities and games. Reading in the Montessori way phonetically is a multi-sensory experience that appeals to all learning styles.
The Montessori language arts preschool curriculum is designed to help students develop their communication skills. Children are taught the alphabet using interactive materials and are introduced to writing through tracing and writing exercises. Reading skills are developed using phonics and sight word recognition, and comprehension skills are honed through activities such as storytelling and reading comprehension exercises.
Additionally, the Montessori method helps children master vocabulary and grammar through natural exploration and discovery. By emphasizing the development of communication skills, the Montessori language arts preschool prepares students to confidently communicate their thoughts and ideas.
Phonics is a method of teaching children how to read and write by helping them understand the relationship between sounds and letters. In phonics learning, children are taught to identify and pronounce individual sounds (phonemes) in words, and then match these sounds to specific letter patterns (graphemes). This approach to reading instruction has been shown to improve children’s reading comprehension, vocabulary, and spelling skills. By mastering phonics, children are able to access a wider range of texts and become more confident and independent readers. Phonics learning is typically incorporated into early literacy education and is an essential foundation for reading success.
In this course, Seemi Abdullah of Trillium Montessori provides instruction and printable materials for phonics-based reading using the pink, blue, and green color coding system. Participants will learn the foundational concepts for reading success, the sequence of reading activities and how to implement them, and how to set up reading shelves in the classroom. This course is best suited for educators who work with children aged 3-7. Montessori training is not required.
Seemi holds a Master’s degree in Education and an AMS (American Montessori Society) Early Childhood credential. She has taught at the early childhood level in Montessori settings for 20 years. Seemi founded the Trillium Montessori School in North Carolina in 2009 and the Trillium Montessori suite of resources for Montessori professionals in 2013.
What you will learn
- How to use the concept of key sounds to simplify reading instruction
- How to use a simple color coding system of just three colors to organize difficulty levels
- How to use a few simple, hands-on lessons to ensure you’re hitting all the essential skills
- How vocabulary, comprehension, stamina and fluency are all important reading skills
- How to set up your shelves to allow the child to progress through the sequence as independently as possible
(hint: you don’t have to formally present all the materials!)
All the printables you need to set up your reading sequence are included!
Many of these printables are available exclusively with this course.
The Pink Series is a set of Montessori reading materials that help young children develop language and reading skills. It consists of small cards with a single word written in pink and a corresponding picture. The series gradually introduces children to phonetic sounds and blends, allowing them to learn to read through a hands-on and interactive approach. As the child progresses, more complex words and phonetic patterns are introduced. The Pink Series is a foundational part of the Montessori language curriculum and offers children a strong base for reading and writing.
The Blue Series is a set of Montessori materials designed to help children develop their reading skills. It includes word and sentence cards with a focus on phonetic patterns and word families. The materials are presented in a specific order to teach children the rules and patterns of the English language. The Blue Series builds on skills learned in the Pink Series, which focuses on letter sounds and recognition. Children typically begin using the Blue Series materials around the age of 4 or 5 and continue through the early elementary years as they advance to more complex reading and writing skills.
A Practical, Hands-on Approach to Teaching Reading the Montessori Way [Printables Included]
As dedicated educators following the Montessori approach, we’re always looking for ways to improve our child’s learning experience. That’s why I’m excited to share the upcoming Montessori and the Science of Reading Summit with you!
The Montessori and the Science of Reading Summit is an illuminating online event designed to empower Montessori educators with the knowledge and tools they need to effectively incorporate the Science of Reading into their Montessori curriculum. This summit will provide valuable insights, practical strategies, and expert guidance to enhance the reading journey of every child in a Montessori environment.
The Montessori and the Science of Reading Summit offers attendees:
- A solid foundation in the latest reading research, helping them make informed decisions in their Montessori classrooms or homeschools.
- Evidence-based strategies tailored to the Montessori approach, ensuring every child’s reading development is supported, regardless of their current reading level.
- An exploration of the compatibility between Montessori methods and the Science of Reading, demonstrating how Montessori principles can be adapted to align with cutting-edge reading research.
- Practical tools and techniques to identify and address gaps in the Montessori curriculum, ensuring it aligns with the latest findings in reading research.
- The summit features over a dozen expert speakers (details coming soon!), including experienced Montessori educators, researchers, and practitioners who will share their insights and knowledge to help attendees make a lasting impact on their students’ reading journey.
- The Montessori and the Science of Reading Summit is perfect for Montessori teachers working with PreK-6 students, as well as homeschooling parents who follow the Montessori approach. By attending this event, participants will gain the confidence and expertise needed to create a more effective literacy program that aligns with both Montessori principles and the Science of Reading.