💕 Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links at no cost to you. It means I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my links. Thank you for your support. Stock Images supplied by Canva
Introduce your kids to international cuisine with this game where they become International Chefs and have to use their creativity (and dough!) to cook different foods from around the world. Free Printable Menu guide and paper Chef’s hat included.
This post is a guest piece by Kids Activities Designer Rodrigo Macias.
What do you need?
- Different colours of dough (any kind is cool, even homemade)
- (Optional) Tape, a printer and paper to get this Menu Guide and Chef’s hat.
How to play:
1. Make an easy paper chef’s hat for your kid using 2 sheets of paper and tape. If you are feeling fancy, go to this page and print the International Chef’s hat specially designed for this activity and use it as the front part of the hat.
2. Either print and fold this little Menu Guide or show your kid on your iPad, computer or whatever you’ve got handy (mind that they might get it a bit dirty with “doughy” hands…) the following pictures of these 4 international foods: Mexican Tacos, Japanese Sushi Rolls, Russian Syrniki and many kids’ favorite: Italian Pizza!
I didn’t include the names of the foods or countries in the Printable Menu Guide because they vary depending on the language that you speak to your kids. This way we keep the activity multilingual-friendly and if you want you can write down the names of each dish and/or country using your preferred language.
3. By looking at the pictures, the kids use the dough and their creativity to think how the ingredients from the left became the dishes on the right. Then it’s time to dough-cook!
* Note * The original ingredients for each dish have been simplified in order to make this activity simple and do-able for any kid that has no culinary expertise. If your kid is a bit advanced in cooking, why not come up with more dough ingredients and add them to the recipes?
- Tell the kids to invent their own country name, flag and traditional dish for an imaginary country that they make up.
- Let the kids draw on their Chef’s hat flags from around the world before they put it on their head. Google is great for flag references.
- Pretend-play International Restaurant either you and others being the customer in your kitchen or helping the kids set up a mini restaurant with their toys so they can take their order, cook it, serve it and somehow get paid for their work (great to start teaching entrepreneurship skills at a young age).
Menu and Chef’s Hat Printables Page
About the guest author:
Rodrigo Macias is the creative behind The Box of Ideas (his website) where he merges his experience working in Childcare and Design to produce free high-quality printables and playful-educational activities for kids.
Rodrigo’s social outlets: Pinterest – TpT – Instagram – Google Plus
Hands-on Geography Activities You Might Enjoy
- Australia Salt-Dough Map – Hands-On Geography
- Geography Printables and Hands-on Activities
- Continent printables and Hands-on Activities
- Flags Of Africa – Geography Activity For Kindergarten Children
- DIY Africa Map And Pin Flags – Hands-On Geography Activity
- Parts Of The Volcano Poster, 3 Part Cards, Blackline Masters – Free Printable
- Gemstones – Posters And Matching Cards – Free Printable
- Learning About Rocks And Minerals
- Choosing The Right Calendar For Your Classroom
- Authentic Handmade Materials For Your Dream Montessori Classroom
- Rain Cloud In A Jar Science Experiment Plus Types Of Clouds Printable
- International Kid Chef – Culinary Montessori Activity With Dough
- Learning About Land And Water Formations – Montessori Outdoor Explorations
- Children Of The World Multicultural Activities For Children
- Australia Themed Free Printables
- Montessori Focus: Land, Water, Air Activity
- Australian Aboriginal Dot Painting For Children And Art Resources
- Asia – Free Printables Resources For The Montessori Classroom
- South America – Free Educational Printables. Resources For The Montessori Classroom
- Teaching About Europe In The Montessori Classroom
- Teaching Geography In The Montessori Classroom
- Supporting Cultural Diversity In The Montessori Classroom