Looking for a fun and engaging way to introduce your kids to the world of farms and farm animals? Look no further than our free printable farm animal family puzzles and cards! Featuring adorable illustrations of cows, pigs, chickens, and other barnyard favorites, these puzzles and cards are the perfect way to get your children excited about the wonders of rural life. So why wait? Download your free copy today and start exploring all the fun and excitement of the farm!
As a parent and educator, you want to teach your kids about the world around them. One great way to do this is by introducing them to farms and farm animals. But how do you make it fun and engaging for them? One idea is to use free printable farm animal family puzzles and cards!
These activities are perfect for kids of all ages. They will learn about different types of farm animals and their family structures. Plus, they will love the colorful images and the hands-on nature of the activities.
You can start by printing out the puzzles and cards and cutting them out. Then, have your child match the family members together or play a memory game with the cards. As they play, you can talk to them about each animal and its role on the farm.
These activities not only teach your child about farm animals, but also help develop important skills like problem-solving, memory, and concentration. Plus, they’re free and easy to access, making them a great option for busy parents.
So, get your kids excited about farms and farm animals with these fun and educational activities. Download the free printable farm animal family puzzles and cards now and start having fun with your child!
Farm-themed activities for kids
Grain pouring and sorting: Provide a tray with two small pitchers, one filled with grain and one empty. Have the child pour the grain from one pitcher to the other, and then sort the different types of grains into separate bowls.
Farm animal matching: Create a set of farm animal cards and matching figurines. Ask the child to match the cards with the figurines and name each animal as they go.
Vegetable and fruit sorting: Gather a variety of fruits and vegetables and cut them up into smaller pieces. Provide bowls for the child to sort them into categories such as colors or types.
Milking a cow: Create a mock cow using a large container, some rubber gloves, and water. Have the child practice milking the cow using the rubber gloves.
Tractor driving: Create a large cardboard tractor and allow the child to pretend to drive it around the room or outside.
- Start by gathering the necessary materials for your cardboard tractor. You will need a large cardboard box, scissors, marker, and paint (optional).
- Begin by cutting off the top and bottom flaps of the cardboard box, leaving only the four sides and the bottom intact. Cut out the shape of the tractor’s cab at the top of the box, leaving enough room for the child to sit comfortably.
- Use a marker to draw the details of the tractor, such as the front grille, headlights, wheels, and any other features you wish to include. You can also use paint to color the tractor and add more details.
- Create a seat for the child to sit on by cutting a hole in the top of the box where the child can sit comfortably. You can also add a steering wheel made of cardboard to complete the driving experience.
- Once you have finished constructing the cardboard tractor, it’s time for the child to start driving. Let them sit inside the tractor and use their imagination to pretend they are driving around the room or outside. Encourage them to make tractor noises and have fun with the experience.
- To add more excitement, you can create obstacles for the child to navigate around or even add other cardboard vehicles for them to interact with.
Overall, creating a cardboard tractor is a fun and easy activity that allows children to use their imagination and have fun while pretending to drive.
Chicken egg sorting: Provide a tray of plastic eggs with different colors and sizes. Have the child sort them and match them to the corresponding colored egg cartons.
Barnyard sensory bin: Create a sensory bin filled with shredded paper or straw, plastic farm animals, and toy tractors or hay bales.
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to create a barnyard sensory bin:
- Large shallow container
- Shredded paper or straw
- Plastic farm animals
- Toy tractors or hay bales
- Choose a large shallow container for your sensory bin. It can be any size that you prefer, but make sure it’s big enough to hold all the materials.
- Fill the container with shredded paper or straw. You can use actual straw if you have access to it, or shredded paper works just as well. Fill the container about 2-3 inches deep.
- Add plastic farm animals to the bin. You can find these at any toy store or online. Choose a variety of animals such as cows, horses, pigs, and chickens.
- Add toy tractors or hay bales to the bin. These will enhance the farm theme and add to the sensory experience.
- Mix everything together so that the animals and tractors are hidden in the shredded paper or straw.
- Encourage your child to explore the sensory bin by using their hands to dig through the shredded paper or straw to find the animals and tractors.
- As your child explores, talk with them about the different animals they find and the sounds they make. You can also use the bin as an opportunity to teach about farms and farm life.
- When playtime is over, store all the materials in a plastic bin with a lid, so it’s ready to use again the next time you want to create a farm sensory experience.
Butter churning: Provide a jar with some cream and allow the child to shake it vigorously until butter appears.
- Get a jar with a tight-fitting lid: Make sure that the jar is clean and dry. The lid should be tight so that the cream doesn’t spill out when it is being shaken.
- Pour cream into the jar: Pour some heavy cream into the jar but do not fill it to the brim. Leave some space for the cream to move around.
- Start shaking: Close the lid of the jar tightly and start shaking the jar. Shake it vigorously for a few minutes until you see the cream start to thicken.
- Keep shaking: Keep shaking the jar until you see the cream separating into butter and buttermilk. You may need to give the jar a break and let the cream settle before continuing to shake.
- Drain off the buttermilk: Once the butter has formed, pour off the buttermilk into a separate container. You can save the buttermilk to use for baking.
- Rinse the butter: Rinse the butter in cold water to get rid of any remaining buttermilk. This will help your butter last longer.
- Enjoy: Your homemade butter is ready to use! Spread it on some toast or use it in your favorite recipes.
Gardening: Allow the child to plant seeds in a container and watch them grow over time.
Farm-themed books: Sit down with the child and read farm-themed books together, such as “Big Red Barn” by Margaret Wise Brown or “Click, Clack, Moo” by Doreen Cronin.
You are invited to download the puzzles and cards with farm animal families – learning printables for preschool and kindergarten children. Use this resource with photographs to create hands-on spring, summer, and farm-themed activities for your students. This resource will come in handy if you are planning to explore the farm animals in your Montessori and early childhood classroom.
I would like to thank my great readers for suggesting creating a printable that helps children learn the correct terminology of the families in the animal kingdom. I started with farm animals. This printable is made in the form of 10 puzzles. The purpose behind it is to allow children to self-correct their work as they match members of each family. This resource would be a helpful addition to your farm theme and animal printables.
This printable also includes a set with cards instead of puzzles that can be used for sorting into the categories – females, males, and young.
Ten puzzles with animal cards featuring farm families.
Here is what’s included:
- 10 x puzzles featuring farm animal families
- 10 x card sets featuring fam animal families
Each card set contains 4 cards that present an animal, male, female, and young of the family.
🎁Please visit the FREE Resource Library to download this printable. The Resource Library is color-coded to help you find the printable you need. Locate the group this printable belongs to based on the color of the cover image.
⌛️ If you prefer to save time, I invite you to join the Montessori Nature Membership for $3/month or purchase a Premium Membership with lifetime access to Life Cycle and Diagram printables along with the Preschool Activity Planner. Members don’t have to enter their email address for each printable.
Free Printables Designed by Montessori Nature
- Free Resource Library
- Singular And Plural Nouns: Montessori Free Sorting Printable For Teaching Kids The Difference
- Engaging Reindeer-Themed Montessori Activities For Preschoolers: Free Printable
- Ignite Children’s Curiosity With Space Geoboard Task Cards – Free Printable
- Outer Space Pairing Fine Motor With Pegs Coloring And Tracing Free Printable
- 10 Trees And 10 Leaves Sorting Cards – Free Printable
- Snowflake Early Learning Activities – Free Printable
- Winter Prewriting Practice – Free Fine Motor Coloring And Tracing Printable
- Enhance Learning With Free Montessori Adjective Printables For Students: Engaging Activities To Expand Vocabulary And Develop Language Skills
- Explore World Landmarks With Fine Motor Printable – Free 3 Part Card Geography Activity
- Free DIY Thanksgiving Puzzles, Vintage Cards And Storytelling Worksheets For Children
- Discover The Fascinating World Of Birds With Our Free Printable Math Coordinates For Preschoolers
- Explore Seasonal Clothing With Fine Motor Printable – Free 3 Part Card Activity
- Engage Preschoolers In Learning With Free Autumn And Summer Sorting Cards – Perfect Educational Activity For Seasonal Fun
- Explore Pumpkin Life Cycle With A Free Playdough Mats And Poem Printable For Kids
- Boost Your Students’ Literacy Skills With Fun And Creative Cards Featuring Compound Words
- Animals and Their Homes Free Printable
- Explore Sunflower Life Cycle With Free Play Dough Mats And Poem Printable For Children
- Geoboard Task Cards Free Math Summer Printable
- Signs Of Summer In Nature Free Printables Posters Student Booklets
- Get Sorting With These Free Fall-Themed Printable Activities For Kids – Made By Humans And Made By Nature Sort
- All About Me Printable Freebie
- Signs of Spring in Nature
- Parts of a Plant Sorting
- Birthday Timeline Printable
- Animals of Continents Sort Editable Labels
- Get Ready For Some Farm Fun With Our Free Printable Preschool Math Coordinates Activity!
- Fall Into Learning Fun With Autumn-Themed Geoboard Cards Free Printable For Kids
- Letter A Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter D Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter E Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter F Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter G Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter B Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter C Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter H Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter i Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter J Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter K Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter L Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter M Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter N Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter O Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter P Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Q Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter R Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter S Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter U Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter T Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter W Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter V Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Y Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter X Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Z Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters CH Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters SH Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters Th Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Language Printable
- Double Letters ‘OO’ Vowel Digraph
- ‘ER’ Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Language Printable
- ‘OR’ Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Language Printable
- Double Letters ‘EE’ Vowel Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Language Printable
- Double Letters ‘NG’ Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Made By Nature Made By Humans Sorting
- My Word Of The Year New Year Free Printable
- Physical And Chemical Changes Pairing Fine Motor With Pegs
- Christmas Playdough Mats
- Christmas 3 Part Cards
- Christmas Matching Fine Motor With Pegs
- 10 Deciduous Trees And 10 Coniferous Trees Sorting Cards
- Fall Playdough Mats
- Christmas in Australia
- Free DIY Art Puzzles Coloring Pages Printables – Silent Night by Viggo Johansen
- Signs of Winter
- Matching Fine Motor With Pegs The Nutcracker Free Christmas printable
- Free DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Raphael The Sistine Madonna
- Fall Leaf Shapes Match Up With Pegs
- Animal Hibernation & Torpor Cards
- 10 Farm Cards And 10 Forest Sorting Cards
- Pairing Fine Motor With Pegs – Thankful Animals
- Types Of Apples
- Fall Prewriting Practice – Free Fine Motor Printable
- Free DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Paul Cezanne Still Life Painting Curtain, Jug And Fruit Bowl
- Fall Pin Punching And Tracing Cards
- Fall Match Up Initial Sounds With Pegs
- Fall Match Up Rhyming Words With Pegs
- Fall Leaves And Fall Flowers
- Fall Match Up Opposites With Pegs
- 10 Types Of Vertebrates And 10 Types Of Invertebrates Fall Printable
- 10 Types of Insects and 10 Types of Flowers Sort
- Fall Match Up With Pegs
- Types Of Exotic Apples 3-Part Cards, Posters, Student Booklet
- 10 Types Of Edible And 10 Types Of Poisonous Mushrooms
- Signs Of Fall – Free Printables, Posters, Cards, Student Booklets
- Woodland Animals Poster Match Up Cards
- 10 Types Of Mammals And 10 Types Of Birds In Autumn
- Color, Cut Out, Build, And Label The Ant
- Color, Cut Out, Build, And Label The Fish
- Gemstones 3 Part Cards
- Wild Animal Families Puzzles And Cards
- Forest Matching Cards – Free Nature Printable
- Beach Poster, Match Up Cards – Free Printables
- Whale Size Comparison Poster, Match Up Cards
- DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Vincent Van Gogh Vase With Twelve Sunflowers
- 10 Types Of Vertebrates And 10 Types Of Invertebrates
- Coral Reef Animals Poster, Match Up Cards
- 10 Types Of Terrestrial Mammals And 10 Types Of Marine Mammals – Free Summer Printable
- 10 Types Of Butterflies And 10 Types Of Ladybugs – Free Sorting Printable
- Skip Counting Student Helper Posters And Worksheets s
- Number Tracing And Formation Activity
- Sums With Bead Bars – Clip Cards And Worksheets With Teen Numbers
- Addition Clip Cards
- Number Bonds – Addition With Bead Bars Sums Of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, And 10
- Place Value Mats, Task Cards, And Tracing Worksheets
- Gemstones – Posters And Matching Cards
- Nature Journal
- Valentine’s Day Coloring
- Geoboard Task Cards
- Free One Week Planner For Preschool Children With Low Prep Hands-On Activities
- Free Montessori Baby And Toddler Printable Materials
- DIY Winter Puzzles And Art Activities – Painting “The Starry Night” By Vincent Van Gogh
- Winter Animals
- Arctic Animals
- DIY Winter Puzzles And Art Activities – Painting “Maslenitsa” By Boris Kustodiev
- Butterflies And Moths Sort
- Types Of Flowers Match Up
- Silent E Learning To Read Cards
- Addition And Subtraction Cards – Single Digits
- Animals In Spring – Activities, Resources, And Free Printables
- Multiplication Charts
- Lined Writing Paper Handwriting Practice
- Nocturnal And Diurnal Animals Sort
- Viviparous And Oviparous Animals Sort
- Mothers And Their Young Animals Sort
- Constellations And Planets Sort
- Farm Animal Families Puzzles
- The Earth Goes Around The Sun – Free Geography Printable
- Tulip Life Cycle And Parts Of A Tulip
- Doing Montessori At Home With Your Baby ( 7 – 9 Mo ) Free Printable Checklist