💕 Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links at no cost to you. It means I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my links. Thank you for your support.
Fall is a perfect time for children of preschool and kindergarten ages to get introduced to the earthy color palette, observe changes that take during this transition in seasons whilst they work on polishing their numeracy, literacy, and fine motor skills.
One of the great advantages for children who grow up in Montessori inspired environment – is exposure to real-life materials and tools. The secret is to allow children the opportunity and freedom to experience the benefits of simple everyday tasks we, adults do so effortlessly, in a safe environment without being rushed.
We can allow them the freedom to create “life” with their own hands and afford time and space for making mistakes, correcting them, and perfecting their skills without pressure. It takes a lot of effort from our side as well, doesn’t it?
Here are some ideas to inspire you to have real-life experiences with your children this fall
- Bake an apple pie together ( who doesn’t love the smell of cinnamon and baking apples.. yum).
- Explore fall outdoors and observe changes in nature: compare leaf colors, open and examine seed pods, crush leaves, spot different animals and creatures, build fire and make an apple tea together. Once you are back inside, remind your children to draw their observations and impressions.
- Sew a table cloth with beautiful simple fall patterns together. Allow every child to contribute to the project.
- Find live inspiration outside for drawing lesson – invite children to draw changes they observe in nature.
- Organize a pumpkin washing station.
- Create a leaf garland with fallen leaves.
- Make a table arrangement with pine cones and dry seeds.
- Organize apple coring and peeling activity.
- Create a fall collage with natural treasures.
- Invite children to share their favorite fall memory of all times with their group of peers.
Fall learning quiet activities for preschool and kindergarten children
Fall activity trays for work shelves make for a great opportunity to keep those little fingers busy. I created a couple of fall/autumn packs and individual printables that help to explore the essence of this inspiring season.
Painting fall leaves on a tree is a great opportunity for children to experiment with mixing different colors to make gorgeous tones of earthy orange, deep green, and brown colors.
This is a fun pairing activity for young preschoolers – great for working on their concentration abilities. When laminated, I invite the child to trace silhouettes of one-tone pictures using dry erase pens.
This color sorting activity also can inspire children to create their own book of fall colors either using these cards or drawing their own fall treasures for each color they choose.
Coloring puzzles are wonderful for allowing children to practice cutting, putting pieces together, and coloring pictures.
Match-up cards with fall elements can inspire children to draw their own illustrations using watercolors or pastels.
DIY jigsaw puzzles with 4 or 6 parts are perfect for little ones aged 3 and 4.
Kindergarten children may be curious to learn what fall looks like and how it differs across the seven continents.
Harvest 3 part cards introduce children to new vocabulary and indirectly teach spelling and allow children to practice reading. Children can be invited to build new words they learned using the moveable alphabet or create fall stories using these cards as props.
Parts of the hedgehog cards are accompanied by student booklet print out for coloring, tracing, or independent writing.
Children get fascinated with animals and their tracks. These cards can be a fun reference tool for them to make animal tracks on playdough using sticks and their little fingers.
Children benefit greatly from learning about their body, the way it functions. These cards help them to identify the five senses they use to explore the world around them and practice categorizing skills.
I spy activities are especially beneficial for developing deeper concentration as students have to really focus on counting the elements of fall quantities.
Here is a freebie with Pumpkin life cycle – poster and 3 part cards.
These math and life cycle printables belong in the Subscriber Resource Library. If you wish to get a copy, you are welcome to join here.
We love using vocabulary cards to teach preschool children new words by playing matching or memory games.
Mushroom 3 part cards provide an exciting opportunity to talk to children about edible and poisonous mushrooms, their benefits, and nutritional value, discuss all the different ways we can use them in cooking.
Apple life cycle is always a great way to extend on harvest unit and introduce children to the sequencing activities and teach hands-on science. This printable is included in my Food-themed pack.
I also had so much fun designing this farm set of printables for our young friends.
The fall season is such a whimsical time of the year with so many opportunities for explorations and discoveries.
You might also enjoy
- Fall books, educational materials and resources
- Animal Tracks (you can also find it on Teachers Pay Teachers)
- Autumn Pack Montessori Inspired Hands-On Activities (Teachers Pay Teachers)
- Mushrooms and Fungi Nomenclature Cards (Teachers Pay Teachers)
- Fall Printables for Toddlers and Young Preschoolers (Teachers Pay Teachers)
- Farm Pack for Preschool (Teachers Pay Teachers)
- Fruits and Vegetables Vocabulary 3 Part Cards – Editable (Teachers Pay Teachers)
- Farm Babies – Safari Toob 3 Part Cards – Editable (Teachers Pay Teachers)
- Farm – Safari Toob 3 Part Cards (Teachers Pay Teachers)
Hands-on Learning ACTIVITIES AND GAMES FOR 3-5 YEAR OLDS
- Learning Activities And Games For 3-5-Year-Olds
- The Arctic And Antarctica Pack Winter Activities For Children
- Compassion And Peace Pack – Valentine’s Day Activities For Children
- Human Body And Doctor’s Office Activities For Preschoolers And Kindergarten
- Montessori Inspired Learning Activities And Educational Games For 5-Year-Old Children
- DIY Learning Hands-On Activities For 3-Year-Olds
- Dinosaur Montessori Inspired Activities And Printables
- Learning About Rocks And Minerals
- Learning About Leaves With Leaf Printables
- Hands-On Montessori Homeschool Activities For A 5-Year Old.
- Learning To Tell Time – Hands-On Ideas
- Hands – On Montessori Homeschool Activities For A 4 Year Old
- DIY Montessori Inspired Activities And Games For 3 – 5-Year-Olds.
- Montessori Inspired Activities And Games For 3-Year-Olds
- 15+ Montessori Inspired Explorations For Three Year Olds
- DIY Learning Activities For Toddlers – Montessori Approach
- 20+ DIY Montessori Inspired Activities For 2 And 3 Year Olds
- Homeschool Simplified – Online Homeschooling Guide for Parents
- The Arctic And Antarctica Pack Winter Activities For Children
- DIY Africa Map And Pin Flags – Hands-On Geography Activity