💕 Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links at no cost to you. It means I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my links. Thank you for your support. Stock Images supplied by Canva
You are invited to download the picture sorting cards with constellations and planets – learning printables for preschool and kindergarten children. Use this resource with photographs to create hands-on spring and space-themed activities for your students. This resource will come in handy if you are planning to explore the solar system in your Montessori and early childhood classroom.
teaching about space the Montessori way
Teaching about the solar system the Montessori way involves providing hands-on activities and exploration opportunities for children to learn about the planets, their characteristics, and their place in the universe. Using Montessori materials and techniques, children can learn about the size, orbit, and location of each planet in the solar system, as well as fun facts about them.
Additionally, children can use models to understand the phases of the moon, the movement of the sun, and the gravitational pull of the planets. Children can develop a curiosity and appreciation for science and astronomy by making learning about the solar system engaging and interactive.
Montessori education emphasizes the importance of hands-on learning and exploration. When teaching about planets, teachers can provide students with sensory experiences that allow them to engage with the topic on a deeper level.
This might include building a model solar system or creating illustrations of the planets using natural materials like sand and rocks. Students can also learn about the unique characteristics and features of each planet through research projects and interactive games. Through this approach, students develop a greater understanding of the universe and their place within it, while also fostering a love for science and learning.
In a Montessori classroom, teaching about constellations begins with an introduction to the night sky, focusing on the patterns of stars visible to the naked eye. Students then explore the history and mythology behind constellation names, using visual aids such as star charts and books.
Hands-on activities like creating their own constellation drawings, using flashcards, or constructing models of the night sky using materials like clay or playdough, are also integrated into the lesson. Finally, the students are encouraged to observe and identify constellations in the night sky and share their findings with the class.
This Constellations and Planets Sort printable includes two sets each containing 20 labeled photograph cards for sorting.
Use these cards to support a child’s interest in the topic of the Solar System, the Milky Way. These cards would be a helpful addition to your Space Theme printables. Print on card stock and laminate for longer use. After cutting cards, draw with a marker or stick dot stickers to the back of each set – one color for each set. Place the label cards in a row. Explain the difference between the two categories. Invite the child to sort cards into two categories.
The goal is for children to grasp the concept and have a visual presentation to learn the difference between the two. After the child completed the task, invite him or her to flip the cards and self-check. Each card has to be under the correct category based on the dot color.
Younger children can be encouraged to match planet and constellation cards when printed twice. Older children might be inspired to research and create their own books about planets and constellations of their choice.
Here is what’s included:
- 2 x label cards
- 10 x labeled cards featuring constellations
- 10 x labeled cards featuring planets
Space - Children's Books and Learning Resources
Solar System Preschool Pack
These engaging solar system learning activities for Pre-K and Preschool students were designed to help broaden children’s vocabulary, improve fine motor skills, and the ability to discriminate according to different characteristics. The pack would be a helpful addition to Space activities.
Air Travel Cards matching Safari Ltd In The Sky TOOB
Three-part cards with air transport for the object to photo-matching activity.
Types of air transport included in the printable – private jet, aerobatic aircraft, parachute, blimp, Concorde, jet plane, helicopter, space shuttle, hot air balloon, light aircraft, jumbo jet, biplane.
Space Preschool Pack - "I am an Astronaut"
Learning activity pack for preschool children aged 3-5. “I am an Astronaut” activity pack contains printables to create a wide variation of hands-on experiences for young children. Students will practice one-to-one correspondence, work on their gross motor skills, letter and number formation, spelling, tracing, cutting, identifying sounds, widening their vocabulary, working on storytelling, practicing fine motor skills and hand muscles, and so much more.
Outer Space Vocabulary 3 Part Cards
Language Cards – Outer Space Vocabulary – 3 Part Cards
Three-part cards are an excellent tool to help interactively learn new vocabulary and spelling. Classified cards can be used to enrich the child’s vocabulary, to develop reading, writing, and classification skills while broadening the child’s knowledge of the world. Create bilingual/multilingual cards for the students in your minority language with ease.
El Espacio Exterior Outer Space Spanish Bilingual 3 Part Cards Montessori
Bilingual Vocabulary Cards – Spanish – English – El Espacio Exterior ( Outer Space ) – Montessori 3 Part Cards.
The Mysteries of the Universe: Discover the best-kept secrets of space
Journey from Earth to the outer reaches of the universe with this stunning book about space! You'll encounter bizarre planets, distant stars, and intricate galaxies.
Every page of this captivating space book reveals the secrets behind more than 100 celestial objects, from planets, asteroids to black holes and galaxies. Get ready to explore fun facts and exciting new scientific discoveries!
National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Space
This beautiful book is the latest addition to the National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book series. These colorful pages will introduce young children to the wonders of space, with colorful illustrations by David Aguilar and simple text that is perfect for beginning readers or for reading aloud. The book will explain basic concepts of space, beginning with what is most familiar to kids and expanding out into the universe.
The Fascinating Space Book for Kids: 500 Far-Out Facts! (Fascinating Facts)
Do you know a kid who wants to know all about space? This intergalactic entry into space books for kids is bursting with 500 out-of-this-world facts for hours of space exploration from the comfort of Earth. Alongside full-color pictures on every page, kids can adventure through stars, planets, and space technology with this book of astronomy for kids.
My First Book of Planets: All About the Solar System for Kids
Get even the smallest astronomer excited for the big universe of space, from the bright and burning sun to our own blue Earth to ice-capped Pluto and every planet in between. With this book, kids will explore the entire solar system through incredible photos and fascinating facts on what makes each planet so special―like their size, distance from the sun, what the surface is like, how many moons they have, and more!
Explore Space, Stars, and Planets: Activity and Fact Book for Kids Ages 5-9: Activities Including Experiments, Diagrams, Mazes, Coloring, Dot-to-Dots, and More (Gold Stars Series)
Gold Stars Explore Space, Stars, and Planets: Facts and Activity Book for Kids Ages 5 to 9 is packed full of experiments, diagrams, mazes, coloring pages, dot-to-dots, and more! Learn about the vast and wonderful universe with this fun, educational science workbook! Stand by for lift off with this space and solar system book for kids!
National Geographic Kids Everything Space: Blast Off for a Universe of Photos, Facts, and Fun!
Get ready to blast off into space to explore planets, stars, and beyond! This fun book will pull you in like gravity, full of fun facts, reports from explorers, maps and infographics, and more than 100 pictures.
Space!: The Universe as You've Never Seen It Before (Knowledge Encyclopedias)
Get set to blast off into space and explore the wonders of our Solar System and beyond.
The ultimate space encyclopedia for children is designed to blow your mind with incredible CGI images, from the deep darkness of black holes to the spectacular sparkle of supernovas.
Super Cool Space Facts: A Fun, Fact-filled Space Book for Kids
Take an exciting, fact-filled journey that goes where all great space books for kids should―to our solar system and beyond! Super Cool Space Facts is bursting with info about stormy planets, exploding stars, weird black holes, amazing landers, and more.
50 Things To See With A Telescope - Kids: A Constellation Focused Approach
From the author of the bestselling book 50 Things to See with a Small Telescope, this colorful edition explores the constellations with young readers, guiding them to dozens of galaxies, nebulae, and star clusters. Every page features a helpful “telescope view”, showing exactly how objects appear through a small telescope or binoculars.
Space Exploration for Kids: A Junior Scientist’s Guide to Astronauts, Rockets, and Life in Zero Gravity
Get ready to take a thrilling journey to the farthest reaches of the universe. Space Exploration for Kids is loaded with out-of-this-world facts and eye-popping photographs that give you an inside look into the daily lives of astronauts. From learning the history of space exploration and rockets to what life is like up there, this top choice among space books for kids 6-9 will inspire you to reach for the stars.
Mae Jemison: A Kid's Book About Reaching Your Dreams (Mini Movers and Shakers)
As a child, I dreamed of going into space…
In the new Mini Movers and Shakers children’s book series comes a cast of characters who have failed, yet succeeded despite overwhelming obstacles. In the fourth volume, we meet Mae Jemison. Find out what happens in this kids book about reaching your dreams.
Smart Kids: Space: For Kids Who Really Love Space!
Open your eyes to a world of discovery with this amazing fact-packed book all about space from Roger Priddy.
From the Solar System to the Milky Way, from Mars to Mercury, from UFOs to the Space Shuttle, Smart Kids Space is an ideal first guide to the mysteries and wonders of our incredible universe.
Written in an accessible and fun style, the informative text is perfectly complemented by visually stunning, large-sized, full-color photography.
Our Solar System: An Exploration of Planets, Moons, Asteroids, and Other Mysteries of Space
Suit up for an expedition into the mysteries of our amazing solar system and beyond
The universe is huge. With more than 100 billion galaxies and billions of orbiting astronomical bodies, there’s so much to learn. Rocket through the cosmos, and discover everything there is to know about our exciting and mysterious solar system!
The Ultimate Book of Space
Learn all about rocket ships, astronauts, and the fascinating world of space exploration: The rover Curiosity lands on the surface of Mars, astronauts prepare for takeoff... Best of all, lots of flaps, popups, pull-tabs, and rotating wheels bring space shuttles, satellites, and planets to life.
The Pop-Up Guide: Space
What's out in space? Can we travel to other planets? What do astronauts do? Children can find out the answers to these questions and more in this accessible and interactive guide. The multilayered 3-D scenes leap off every page, allowing young readers to experience space in a unique way.
DK Readers L2: Spaceships and Rockets: Relive Missions to Space (DK Readers Level 2)
From rovers to shuttles and probes, Spaceships and Rockets covers everything there is to know about spacecraft.
Spaceships and Rockets takes an up-close look at the history of rockets and space travel, and technology development for space travel planned for the future. Find out how a rocket blasts off, identify the different parts of a rocket, and see if you can afford a trip into space! Read about the probes floating in space and the rover on Mars as they work to gather information to send back to earth.
Space Dictionary for Kids: The Everything Guide for Kids Who Love Space
Packed with hundreds of illustrated definitions about astronomy and space, Space Dictionary for Kids is certain to spark any kid's enthusiasm for the solar system and galaxy. Explore cosmology, stars and galaxies, the solar system, space exploration, and exoplanets and astrobiology. Hop on an astronomy timeline to learn the story of how primitive ancient beliefs evolved over centuries to become a high-technology science.
Space A Visual Encyclopedia
From the Moon, Sun, and planets of our Solar System to space exploration, black holes, and dark matter, this completely revised and updated children’s encyclopedia covers all you need to know about the cosmos.
The most up-to-date images from space agencies such as NASA and ESA combine with info panels, timelines, interviews, diagrams, and activities you can do at home to help you understand the majesty and wonder of space.
Constellations for Kids: An Easy Guide to Discovering the Stars
Over thousands of years, stargazers have noticed shapes in the stars, also called constellations. Different cultures have seen mythical animals and heroes within these constellations, and many travelers have used the stars as a guide for their journeys. Constellations for Kids will show young astronomers how to read the night sky as they discover more than 25 unique constellations.
Space Educational Stem Toy | Includes 6 Fun Projects That Range from Arts and Crafts to Science | Ideal Space Gift for Boys and Girls Aged 7,8,9,10 Year Old
This Space box includes 6 activities - Make your own beautiful Solar System Mobile, Learn about the constellations by making a streamer, Make a magical kaleidoscope and see patterns in it
Planets and the Solar System (Smithsonian Kids First Discovery Books)
Touch, read, and discover all about our amazing solar system with your toddler and Smithsonian Kids! Featuring special embossing to highlight fun facts about the wonders of space and the universe, this book engages both verbal and tactile learning skills. Embossed textures and bright, detailed photographs and renderings from Smithsonian are sure to engage, entertain, and educate your curious toddler.
Free Printables Designed by Montessori Nature
- Free Resource Library
- Geoboard Task Cards Free Math Summer Printable
- Signs Of Summer In Nature Free Printables Posters Student Booklets
- Signs of Spring in Nature
- Parts of a Plant Sorting
- Animals of Continents Sort Editable Labels
- Letter A Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter D Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter E Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter F Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter G Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter B Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter C Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter H Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter i Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter J Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter K Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter L Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter M Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter N Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter O Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter P Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Q Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter R Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter S Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter U Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter T Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter W Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter V Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Y Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter X Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Letter Z Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters CH Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters SH Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Free Language Printable
- Double Letters Th Digraph Student Activity Page Phonics Language Printable
- Made By Nature Made By Humans Sorting
- My Word Of The Year New Year Free Printable
- Physical And Chemical Changes Pairing Fine Motor With Pegs
- Christmas Playdough Mats
- Christmas 3 Part Cards
- Christmas Matching Fine Motor With Pegs
- 10 Deciduous Trees And 10 Coniferous Trees Sorting Cards
- Fall Playdough Mats
- Christmas in Australia
- Free DIY Art Puzzles Coloring Pages Printables – Silent Night by Viggo Johansen
- Signs of Winter
- Matching Fine Motor With Pegs The Nutcracker Free Christmas printable
- Free DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Raphael The Sistine Madonna
- Fall Leaf Shapes Match Up With Pegs
- Animal Hibernation & Torpor Cards
- 10 Farm Cards And 10 Forest Sorting Cards
- Pairing Fine Motor With Pegs – Thankful Animals
- Types Of Apples
- Fall Prewriting Practice – Free Fine Motor Printable
- Free DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Paul Cezanne Still Life Painting Curtain, Jug And Fruit Bowl
- Fall Pin Punching And Tracing Cards
- Fall Match Up Initial Sounds With Pegs
- Fall Match Up Rhyming Words With Pegs
- Fall Leaves And Fall Flowers
- Fall Match Up Opposites With Pegs
- 10 Types Of Vertebrates And 10 Types Of Invertebrates Fall Printable
- 10 Types of Insects and 10 Types of Flowers Sort
- Fall Match Up With Pegs
- Types Of Exotic Apples 3-Part Cards, Posters, Student Booklet
- 10 Types Of Edible And 10 Types Of Poisonous Mushrooms
- Signs Of Fall – Free Printables, Posters, Cards, Student Booklets
- Woodland Animals Poster Match Up Cards
- 10 Types Of Mammals And 10 Types Of Birds In Autumn
- Color, Cut Out, Build, And Label The Ant
- Color, Cut Out, Build, And Label The Fish
- Gemstones 3 Part Cards
- Wild Animal Families Puzzles And Cards
- Forest Matching Cards – Free Nature Printable
- Beach Poster, Match Up Cards – Free Printables
- Whale Size Comparison Poster, Match Up Cards
- DIY Puzzles And Coloring Pages – Vincent Van Gogh Vase With Twelve Sunflowers
- 10 Types Of Vertebrates And 10 Types Of Invertebrates
- Coral Reef Animals Poster, Match Up Cards
- 10 Types Of Terrestrial Mammals And 10 Types Of Marine Mammals – Free Summer Printable
- 10 Types Of Butterflies And 10 Types Of Ladybugs – Free Sorting Printable
- Skip Counting Student Helper Posters And Worksheets s
- Number Tracing And Formation Activity
- Sums With Bead Bars – Clip Cards And Worksheets With Teen Numbers
- Addition Clip Cards
- Number Bonds – Addition With Bead Bars Sums Of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, And 10
- Place Value Mats, Task Cards, And Tracing Worksheets
- Gemstones – Posters And Matching Cards
- Nature Journal
- Valentine’s Day Coloring
- Geoboard Task Cards
- Free One Week Planner For Preschool Children With Low Prep Hands-On Activities
- Free Montessori Baby And Toddler Printable Materials
- DIY Winter Puzzles And Art Activities – Painting “The Starry Night” By Vincent Van Gogh
- Winter Animals
- Arctic Animals
- DIY Winter Puzzles And Art Activities – Painting “Maslenitsa” By Boris Kustodiev
- Butterflies And Moths Sort
- Types Of Flowers Match Up
- Silent E Learning To Read Cards
- Addition And Subtraction Cards – Single Digits
- Animals In Spring – Activities, Resources, And Free Printables
- Multiplication Charts
- Lined Writing Paper Handwriting Practice
- Nocturnal And Diurnal Animals Sort
- Viviparous And Oviparous Animals Sort
- Mothers And Their Young Animals Sort
- Constellations And Planets Sort
- Farm Animal Families Puzzles
- The Earth Goes Around The Sun – Free Geography Printable
- Tulip Life Cycle And Parts Of A Tulip