💕 Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links at no cost to you. It means I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my links. Thank you for your support.
When exploring outdoors children ask never-ending questions about everything they observe around. Nature and the environment that surrounds kids fascinate and draw them to discover with hands-on learning. Don’t you wish you had a practical guide that would help you navigate your outdoor adventures? Well, there are plenty to choose from this list of nature books for children. I have to warn you, it is really difficult to pick just one. Illustrations and content are simply outstanding. I am about to restock our library with some of these amazing nature books.
1. The Kids’ Nature Book: 365 Indoor/Outdoor Activities and Experiences by Susan Milord Amazon
Book packed with activity-based learning!
2. The Nature Connection: An Outdoor Workbook for Kids, Families, and Classrooms by Clare Walker Leslie Amazon
This interactive workbook is filled with creative activities for curious naturalists ages 8 to 13. Kids learn how to experience nature with all five senses, whether they live in the countryside, a major city, or somewhere in between.
3. Fun With Nature: Take Along Guide by Mel Boring Amazon
This book encourages kids to discover the incredible world in their backyards.
4. Nature Walk Journal by Potter Style Amazon
This book is perfect for homeschooling families. Here you will find nature notation tips, seasonal suggestions, leaf identification, plant identification, animal track information and more.
5. Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling by John Muir Laws Amazon
This book presents step-by-step illustrations, dozens of exercises lead the hand and mind through creating accurate reproductions of plants and animals as well as landscapes, skies, and more.
6. Keeping a Nature Journal: Discover a Whole New Way of Seeing the World Around You by Clare Walker Leslie Amazon
This book is all about reconnecting with nature through sketching and writing with these simple methods for capturing the living beauty of each season.
7. The Curious Nature Guide: Explore the Natural Wonders All Around You by Clare Walker Leslie Amazon
Filled with stunning photography as well as original illustrations, this guide will inspire you to use all of your senses to notice the colors, sounds, smells, and textures of the trees, plants, animals, birds, insects, clouds, and other features that can be seen right outside your home, no matter where you live.
8. Kids’ Outdoor Adventure Book: 448 Great Things to Do in Nature Before You Grow Up by Globe Pequot Press Amazon
This book is a year-round how-to activity guidebook for getting kids outdoors and exploring nature, be it catching fireflies in the cool summer evenings; making birdfeeders in the fall from peanut butter, pine cones, and seed; building a snowman in 3 feet of fresh winter snow; or playing duck, duck, goose with friends in a meadow on a warm spring day.
9. I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature by Jennifer Ward Amazon
It presents very basic 52 open-ended activities to help you engage your child in the outdoors. No matter what your location—from a small patch of green in the city to the wide-open meadows of the country—each activity is meant to promote exploration, stimulate imagination, and heighten a child’s sense of wonder.
10. The Outdoor Classroom in Practice, Ages 3-7: A month-by-month guide to forest school provision by Karen Constable Amazon
Here you will find over 100 full-colour photographs to illustrate the practice diary entries that reflect how the planning was delivered, what changes were made and how aspects of learning were recorded and assessed examples of practice as well as comprehensive resource lists and safety guidelines links to indoor play and opportunities at home.
11. Nature Anatomy: The Curious Parts and Pieces of the Natural World by Julia Rothman Amazon
See the world in a whole new way! Acclaimed illustrator Julia Rothman combines art and science in this exciting and educational guide to the structure, function, and personality of the natural world.
12. Mother Nature Is Awesome (From Volcanoes To Earthquakes) by Speedy Publishing
This book will greatly help them to understand that there is much to see in the precious life of theirs.
13. The Lost Art of Reading Nature’s Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals and Other Forgotten Skills by Tristan Gooley Amazon
With his first book, The Natural Navigator, he started a renaissance in the rare art of reading nature’s clues.
14. Nature’s Day: Discover the World of Wonder on Your Doorstep by Kay Maguire
This first book of nature helps young readers to discover the world of wildlife on their doorstep.
15. Caring for Nature (Help the Environment) by Charlotte Guillain Amazon
This series introduces very young children to the concept of caring for the environment in an attractive and accessible way. Based on children’s real-life experiences, the books focus on things children can do to help the environment and keep the world around us clean. In this book, children learn what nature is, what lives in nature, and ways they can care for nature.
16. Pocketful of Pinecones: Nature Study With the Gentle Art of Learning : A Story for Mother Culture by Karen Andreola Amazon
Pocketful of Pinecones is a teacher’s guide the nature study cleverly disguised as a heartwarming story written in the form of a mother s diary.
17. Forest Has a Song: Poems by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater Amazon
VanDerwater lets the denizens of the forest speak for themselves in twenty-six lighthearted, easy-to-read poems.
18.Why Should I Protect Nature? by Jen Green Amazon
Books present brief, entertaining stories that answer children’s questions and feature amusing color illustrations on every page.
19. Usborne Illustrated Book of Nature by Phillip Clarke Amazon
Young children can learn about the secret life of birds, the wonderful world of trees and flowers, and the wildlife living on the seashore and in your own garden.
20.The Usborne Complete First Book of Nature by R. Kidman-Cox Amazon
21. All the Wild Wonders: Poems of Our Earth Amazon
In this celebration of our Earth, distinguished anthologist Wendy Cooling has chosen poems to make children look, think, and ask questions.
22. Wonderful Nature, Wonderful You by Karin Ireland Amazon
With a light touch especially suited for children, Karin Ireland explores the lessons of nature and finds their relevance to all of us.
23. The Kid’s Guide to Exploring Nature by Brooklyn Botanic Garden Educators Amazon
This guide will inspire kids to look closely at the world around them! It teaches children how to observe environments as a naturalist does and leads them on 24 adventures that reveal the complex ecosystems of plants and animals in the woods, at the beach, and in a city park.
24.N is for Nature: An Environmental Alphabet Book by Tim Magner Amazon
This book contains simple prose and creative images shaped to form each letter, early readers discover the magic of the alphabet.
25. Nature Crafts for Kids: 50 Fantastic Things to Make With Mother Nature’s Help by Gwen Diehn Amazon
Each project shows–in full-color photos–how to make something that’s useful or attractive or just plain interesting, while the fascinating instructions will help kids see, feel, and understand the natural world around them.
26. Nature in a Nutshell for Kids: Over 100 Activities You Can Do in Ten Minutes or Less by Jean Potter Amazon
Contains 100+ fast and easy activities running the gamut from how animals and plants grow to the formation of mountains and rivers.
27. Wonders of Nature by Jane Werner Watson Amazon
This book contains realistic artwork is accompanied by gentle text that brings an awe of nature to the youngest readers.
28. Nature is Awesome: Fun Facts and Pictures for Kids by Speedy Publishing Amazon
A book about nature sparks a child’s imagination by introducing a child to the unique. Children are interested in things like where do certain animal come from and where does the rain come from.
29. The Everything Kids’ Nature Book: Create Clouds, Make Waves, Defy Gravity and Much More! by Kathiann M. Kowalski Amazon
This book will inspire run with the antelope across the American plains and learn about the food chain.
Climb with a monkey to the highest tree in the rainforest and discover how photosynthesis keeps leaves green.
30. National Geographic Book of Nature Poetry: More than 200 Poems With Photographs That Float, Zoom, and Bloom! by J. Patrick Lewis Amazon
This is a poetic celebration of the natural world in this stellar collection of nature poems. From trickling streams to deafening thrunderstorms to soaring mountains, discover majestic photography perfectly paired with contemporary, classics, and never-before-published works.
31. Play The Forest School Way: Woodland Games and Crafts for Adventurous Kids By Peter Houghton Amazon
Forest School is founded on a philosophy of nature-based play and learning that encourages children to develop confidence and self-esteem. This book will get your kids outside, making and building in the real world (instead of on a computer screen!).
I hope you found great resources for your inspiration to venture outdoors and connect with the natural world!
YOu Might Also Enjoy These Resources On Nature-Based Learning and Living
- The Many Benefits Of Learning In Nature
- Hands-On Learning About Plants In Our Montessori Classroom
- Sensory Explorations Outdoors – Touch With Nature Hunt Printable
- Learning About Land And Water Formations – Montessori Outdoor Explorations
- The Silence Game In Nature – Empowering Children With Mindfulness
- Montessori Inspired Explorations At The Beach
- Quotes On Nature – Steering Away From Nature – Deficit Disorder
- Colour Hunt In Nature – Montessori Outdoor Explorations
- 20 Ways To Celebrate Earth Day And Every Day With Kids.
- 30 Amazing Books For Children On Nature
- Art With Nature – Creative Nature Hunt For Kids
- Outdoor Learning Activities With Free Printables
- Painting With Natural Loose Parts
- 3 Easy Steps To Get Your Kids Crafting With Natural Materials
- How To Make An Easter Garden – Natural Small World For Play
- Hands-On Learning About Plants In Our Montessori Classroom
- Calming Mindfulness Activities For Kids Using The Colors Of Nature
- Outdoor And Nature-Based Learning Activities For Children
- Introduction To Forest School – A Practical Approach To Outdoor Learning (Free Printable)
- Nature Journal – Free Printable
- Nature Display In Homeschool Setting
- Montessori Flower Arranging Lessons For Children. Activities, Materials. Tips For Toddlers & Preschoolers
- Outdoor Activities For Children With Free Seven-Day Planner
- Risk-Taking In Play And Everyday Life For Children
- The Importance And Benefits Of Teaching Gardening To Children Toddlers To Preschoolers
- Indoor Garden Craft Ideas For Kids – Plants That Stimulate The Senses
- How To Make A Vegetable Garden For Kids
- What Happens If Every Child Picks A Flower?