Children have the most sincere and honest attitude when it comes to saving our planet, taking care of animals and fellow human beings. What a significant period in their lives to reach out and sow these seeds of mindfulness, empathy, compassion, and responsibility for our environment and all living creatures. I would love to share with you a couple of ideas that could make this Earth Day and every day a bit more special.
1. Turn all the lights and electronic gadgets off and use candles or torches for one night. Check out these awesome flashlight games you can play with the whole family at night.
2. Set up a recycling station.
3. Get yourself a reusable water bottle and take it with you everywhere you go.
4. Decorate an environmentally friendly reusable shopping bag (with paint, for example) and give it to your favorite person filled with fresh goodies.
5. Make Earth Day cards using recycled materials.
6. Build your own worm farm and make sure to feed your food scraps to worms every day instead of chucking them in a bin.
7. Demonstrate water pollution with this excellent activity.
8. Did you know that it takes 660 gallons of water to make one hamburger? Make a vow to eat only vegetarian food for one week.
9. Recycle all cardboard food packaging to make fun construction craft using sticky tape and scissors, make robots or cars. It might take a few days to collect a good amount of cardboard packages enough for a craft project.
10. Go on a litter scavenger hunt. It can be a lot of fun, see for yourself here.
11. Pack your lunch packaging-free using reusable containers.
12. Think of someone who is very special to you, and plant a tree in their honor.
13. Take a walk outdoors and hug a tree or two on the way.
14. Create your own veggie patch. Start with these 10 easy plants for kids to grow.
15. Regrow your food from kitchen scraps. Learn how here.
16. Learn more about bees and how important they are for the environment and humans.
17. Find out more about animals that help humans survive and how to protect them.
18. Spread peace everywhere you go – give someone a tight squeeze and a smile. Let peace being with you!
19. Make a poster to remind yourself to turn off the water while brushing your teeth and take shorter showers. You can conserve up to five gallons per day.
20. Throw a clothing exchange party for friends and swap some clothes. Make sure to ditch plastic cups and plates 😉