“Every baby is born with about 100 billion neurons. Neurons are the special cells responsible for most brain functions, such as thinking, seeing and feeling. We currently believe that those 100 billion neurons are all you get; few or none of them are produced later in life. Neurons connect with each other across tiny spaces called “synapses.” These connected neurons join together to form the systems that perform the various functions of the brain.
There are a few main points of our parenting that we truly believe provide a great foundation for brain development:
1.TALK to the child all the time so she is used to hearing speech (except when child is focusing on something else). When possible while talking make an eye contact. We also have been reading books every day since she was born. Our favourite books to read are the Bible and photography books with big beautiful realistic photos
2.TOUCH – every day massage is so beneficial: great to strengthen the immune system and helps to bond with the child, it is very important for brain development.
3. FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT. It is important to observe the child – when she wants to move – let her discover freely. Movement is essential for brain development as well.
4. When she wants to be held – cuddle her, pick her up or put her in the carrier. Remember that it is impossible to spoil a baby. She will tell you exactly what she needs when she needs it, she knows the best. Whenever you question yourself, always ask: ‘would I like to be treated the way I treat my child”. It helps me to make a right decision every time.
5. SAFE ENVIRONMENT not just physically but emotionally, stress free and peaceful. I am not saying it is always possible, we are all humans and things happen. However, it is possible to achieve once both parents make a commitment to try their best.
6.Allwoing the child to play on her own as much as she would like to every day will help her to develop sense of independence and stronger self-esteem. Important rule: never interrupt her precious moments of CONCENTRATION.
7. Treasure every moment of her SLEEP.
8.NO SCREEN time until the age of 2.
9. NEVER DO FOR THE CHILD WHAT SHE CAN DO FOR HERSELF. I consider this a core of Montessori method.
10. Also providing child with every day portion of high quality fish oil will benefit her brain development in the most effective way!
All these principles came from our experience, common sense, our beliefs and one or two books we read. It is so rewarding hearing people complement our child’s concentration or her ability to grasp with her little hand or for her being a happy little person. And it is not the most important thing – the crucial thing for us is to give her all the love we can in the most natural way.
Here are some ideas of how to support your child’s health using natural solutions
Here are the books that inspired us to give our daughter the best of our ability to help her to open her potential and be a happy person starting from the very early years:
In his New York Times bestseller Brain Rules, Dr. John Medina showed us how our brains really work—and why we ought to redesign our workplaces and schools. Now, in Brain Rules for Baby, he shares what the latest science says about how to raise smart and happy children from zero to five. This book is destined to revolutionise parenting. Just one of the surprises: The best way to get your children into the college of their choice? Teach them impulse control.
Brain Rules for Baby bridges the gap between what scientists know and what parents practise. Through fascinating and funny stories, Medina, a developmental molecular biologist and dad, unravels how a child’s brain develops – and what you can do to optimise it.”